Men’s golf finishes 10th at Gary Koch invitational

The USF men’s golf team rebounded from a second-to-last-place finish in its most recent tournament thanks to an all-around team effort.

USF clawed its way out of a slow start to finish 10th overall at Tampa’s Old Memorial Golf Club in the Gary Koch Intercollegiate.

The Bulls finished the first round tied with Florida State for 14th after shooting a team total of 313. USF played 36 holes Tuesday to finish out the tournament.

USF bounced back in the second round after shooting a stellar 289, the fifth-best team score that round.

USF’s Greg O’Mahoney finished tied for 9th among individuals after posting a 70 in the first round. He finished the second round one over par.

Brad Quiri also shot a 70 to help the Bulls finish round two tied for 7th place with Florida. Four USF golfers finished with scores lower than 80.

USF rounded out the day by shooting a third-round score of 296. The Bulls got consistent play from all five golfers in the third round.

The Bulls were led individually in round three by Jason Elliot, who shot a 72.

O’Mahoney finished the tournament tied for 19th individually.

The University of Kentucky shot a 280 in round two and took a lead that would prove too hefty to overcome. Despite shooting a final-round score of 295, the Wildcats held off Georgia State to take the tournament title.

The Bulls have some downtime before their next tournament, when they will travel to Gulf Shores, Ala. to participate in the Fall Beach Classic on Nov. 1 and 2.

Compiled by Mark Lennox and John Calkins.