No.17 USF travels to Charlotte

The No. 17 USF men’s soccer team (2-0-0, 1-0-0 C-USA) faces Charlotte on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Transamerica Field in North Carolina.

The Bulls have lost the last three meetings with the 49ers, going 0-3-0 under coach George Kiefer, including a 2-1 loss last year in the first round of the C-USA tournament.

However, USF has a 13-10-2 record against Charlotte, who, like the Bulls, also failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament last year.

“Charlotte is another tough team, another tough game, and we’ll be ready for them. Since the last game was number 400, I guess we can try for 401,” Kiefer said.

After being cancelled due to Hurricane Frances, USF’s game against Stetson has been rescheduled for Wednesday at 7p.m. at the USF Soccer Stadium.

Women’s soccer

The USF women’s soccer team travels to Miami on Sunday to face Florida Atlantic University in what will be the Bulls’ second consecutive in-state contest. They fell 5-0 versus UCF on Wednesday.

USF holds a 3-1-1 record against FIU, which includes a 2-2 double overtime tie last season.

But after watching his team get blanked by the Knights, coach Logan Fleck has his attention on the Bulls.

“I’m throwing the scouting reports out the window,” Fleck said. “Right now I’m worried about us.”

Jones to start against Bucs

Former USF standout Kenyatta Jones will be in the starting lineup when Washington plays the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sunday.

He started all five games for the Redskins this preseason.

Jones played for USF from 1997-2000. He was drafted by the New England Patriots, where he won a world championship in 2001. He signed with Washington in 2003.

Jones is not the only former Bull starting this weekend. Former USF safety J.R. Reed (2000-03) will be returning kickoffs for the Philadelphia Eagles against the New York Giants on Sunday.

Also, former Bull defensive end Shurron Pierson (2001-02) is listed on the Chicago Bears practice squad.

Staff Report