And on that farm there were some Bulls …

All three ballplayers from the 2004 USF baseball team who are playing in the minors have been struggling at the plate.

Myron Leslie and Mike Macaluso have a few weeks of pro ball under their belts, while Devin Ivany, who signed later, recently finished his first week of ball in the minor leagues.

All have something to prove if they hope to see time in the major leagues.

Macaluso was playing ball with the Class-A short-season Auburn Doubledays with little luck, going 2 for 16, but after reassignment, he found success at the plate.

After Toronto signed a couple of middle infield draft choices, Macaluso was moved down to the Rookie-level Pulaski Blue Jays, where he is batting .310 in his first seven games.

“He is doing very well there,” USF assistant coach Bryan Peters said. “He said he is enjoying himself and he is doing pretty well, so he is excited.”

Devin Ivany originally went to the Cape League for the summer following a disappointing 6th-round draft pick, but he eventually signed with the Montreal Expos.

The catcher has struggled with the Class-A short-season Vermont Expos, going 3 for 20 in his first week of professional ball.

“He said his timing was a little off when he first got up there. He lined out twice yesterday and feels good. He feels like he’s got his rhythm down and he’s pretty confident that he’ll start hitting well,” Peters said.

Ivany has been spending most of his time as catcher and has been designated hitter when not behind the plate.

Montreal has not yet signed catcher Erick San Pedro, Montreal’s second-round pick from the University of Miami.

Myron Leslie was drafted by the Oakland Athletics as a third baseman, but was — at least early on — playing shortstop, his position at USF.

Leslie’s bat is cold right now. He is hitting .153 for the Vancouver Canadians, Oakland’s Class-A short-season affiliate.

His walks are up, though, which shows that he is being more patient and that he will eventually come around, Peters said.

“I think he is falling back into his normal routine of waiting to get a good pitch. That is when he is the best because he has got a really good eye and he is a smart hitter,” Peters said. “You can see that he is taking pitches better now because his walks are up and his batting average is steadily climbing and I expect it to continue to do so.”