Dickson reaps what she sows

After a fabulous freshman season, Jessica Dickson probably has enough awards to fill her dorm room. Wednesday, the forward from Ocala garnered a spot on Gballmag.com’s Young All-American team as one of the country’s top freshmen to go with her designation as the Bulls’ Offensive Player of the Year.

Dickson was already named the Conference USA Freshman of the Year and was a second team All C-USA selection. At the team banquet Sunday, she was chosen USF’s Offensive Player of the Year.

“I am very proud of Jessica and the accomplishments that she achieved this season,” USF coach Jose Fernandez said. “She has a great career ahead of her, and we’re delighted that she is receiving this well-deserved national recognition.”

Gballmag.com is a Web site dedicated to women’s basketball, including coverage of high school, college and professional competition. The site features updated articles approximately every two weeks, as well as an online mall and links to other Web sites dedicated to women’s basketball.

Dickson finished her rookie campaign as the top scoring freshman in America, averaging 18.6 points per game, which was also third in C-USA. A 5-foot-11 forward who played her scholastic ball at Vanguard High School, she also averaged 6.1 rebounds per outing, good enough for second on the team.

Dickson scored in double figures in 26 of her 29 games this year – and 12 games of 20 or more points – and ended the season netting 540 points. That total was a new C-USA and USF freshman scoring record and is the second most points scored in a single season for the Bulls.

Dickson set a C-USA freshman single game scoring record on Feb. 2 when she poured in a career-high 36 points in a thrilling 89-84 double-overtime win over No. 18 TCU at the Sun Dome. She hit a 40-foot shot from near mid-court to send the game into the second extra session, then proceeded to score nine points to secure the win.

Other awards handed out at the team’s banquet, held at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Tampa, included Defensive Player of the Year, Most Improved Player and the Golden Bull award.

Gilmore, a 5-foot-6 junior guard, earned the team’s Defensive Player of the Year award after leading the team and finishing sixth in C-USA in steals.

Sharon Cambridge raised her scoring average to 4.9 points per game and 2.6 rebounds per outing as a sophomore to collar most improved. Cambridge tallied just 2.2 points per game as a freshman during the 2002-03 season.

Rachael Sheats earned the Golden Bull, an honor recognizing athletic and academic achievement.

Compiled from Oracle wires and staff reports