With condoms, porn industry can set good example

It would be easy to assume that by the time an individual has reached college, he or she has been exposed to pornography of some kind. Be it in the form of a magazine, Web site or a movie, pornography has created a multi-billion dollar industry, according to The New York Times.

Last week, the adult-movie industry shut down after learning that one if its stars had contracted HIV and had possibly spread it to other actors. Though monthly health tests are mandatory, implementing mandatory condom use is warranted in order to prevent further outbreaks in a controversial, though profitable, business.

According to The Times, Darren James, an actor who has starred in over 100 adult films in the past two years, tested positive for HIV on April 12. It is suspected that he contracted the virus during a shoot in Brazil, where health exams are not mandatory. James was tested immediately upon return from Brazil in March and, after receiving a clean bill of health, has worked with 12 actresses since his return.

One of the actresses, Lara Roxx, has tested positive as well. Between the two actors, 65 performers have been identified as having had sex in front of the camera with either James or Roxx.

Approximately 1,200 adult-film actors are required to be tested monthly for HIV, as well as other diseases including syphilis, gonorrhea and Chlamydia, according to The Times.

Sharon Mitchell, former adult-film actress and co-founder of the Adult Industry Medical Health Care Foundation, told The Times that while some production companies require condoms to be worn, the majority does not. According to The Washington Post, less than one-fifth of the actors wear protection.

While it is commendable that adult-industry actors are not allowed to shoot a film without first providing film producers with evidence of a health exam, it is simply not enough to ensure the actor’s well-being, as it can take considerably longer than a month for an HIV infection to become visible in tests.

“Films are picked up for distribution faster if the actors are not wearing condoms, and the talent earns more money …,” Mitchell told The Times.

Because there is such a limited number of porn movie distributors, a sweeping change in the industry’s regulations — at least in the United States — would be relatively easy. It would not only ensure a safer working environment for the performers but also reinforce the message that condoms should be worn, not just talked about.