Running backs running out

The USF football team had a light contact practice in shorts Wednesday, but coach Jim Leavitt was anything but casual.

When redshirt Freshman Trae Williams dropped a pass in the flat during an offensive drill, Leavitt gave him a piece of his mind, noisily.

Leavitt shouted across the field, asking Williams if he had a problem seeing the football. “Trae, I’m being serious,” Leavitt screamed. “Do you need glasses?”

Leavitt said Williams might end up moving to wide receiver, which will leave his running back corps extremely thin this spring.

Leavitt has said all spring that he does not like his running back situation and that he will wait to see what new players joining the team in the fall will bring to his squad.

After the Bulls graduated Quinton Callum, DeJuan Green and Vince Brewer, they lost sophomore Billy Henderson last week to a torn ACL. Brian Fisher, who is also expected to see time at running back, is dealing with legal problems after he was arrested twice in the past 10 days for driving with a suspended/revoked license and failing to pay almost $17,500 in delinquent child support payments. For now, Leavitt is not left with much to work with.

“The most disappointing position in our spring right now is running back. No doubt about it,” Leavitt said. “Our running back situation right now is not that good.”

When Leavitt ran down his depth chart Tuesday, he skipped the running back position altogether. Wednesday he reiterated that his staff would wait until this fall to make any decisions regarding the position.

In the fall, newcomers Andre Hall, Andre Copeland, Ricky Ponton and Chad Simpson will join the team. They will battle for the starting position Leavitt said is wide open right now.

“We know that the fall will be real important. That’s why we signed a junior college player and that’s why we signed all those running backs. There was reason,” he said.