Bulls’ game called because of rain

When it rains at the baseball diamond, players and coaches can only wait out the storm. On Tuesday, the USF and Bethune-Cookman baseball teams lingered in vain waiting for the rain to let up.

To stay loose, some USF players even threw around a football when the rain let up for a few minutes.

“It is just one of those situations that you can’t control,” USF coach Eddie Cardieri said.

The Bulls’ 3 p.m. game against the Wildcats was canceled because of rain after a one hour and 38 minute delay. It has yet to be determined if the game will be rescheduled.

Cardieri said he might know tomorrow if the game can be played at a later date.

It took rain to silence the Bulls’ bats. USF has been productive at the plate this season, averaging eight runs a game with a .297 team batting average. USF batters have homered in five consecutive games.

Cardieri said he has also taken notice of a streak his freshman centerfielder has put together recently.

Ty Taborelli has gotten off to a great start, igniting the Bulls’ lineup from the leadoff spot. The centerfielder has a hit in each of the six games in which he has appeared.

“It is a good start to a freshman year,” Cardieri said.

Up next for USF is Oklahoma State in the Stetson Invitational Friday at 2 p.m.

Kiendl named C-USA co-Player of the Week

USF junior Uli Kiendl was named Conference USA co-Tennis Player of the Week after leading the men’s team to victories against No. 17 Alabama and No. 29 Auburn during the weekend.

Kiendl, ranked No. 69, posted victories at No. 1 in singles against Alabama’s Stephen Mitchell 6-2, 6-3, and Auburn’s Gabor Zoltan-Pelva 6-7, 7-5, 6-4. Mitchell was ranked No. 63 and Zoltan-Pelva No. 40.

“Uli is getting his confidence back, and he knows he can play with anyone in the country,” said USF coach Don Barr, whose No. 35 Bulls moved to 4-1 on the season.

Kiendl shared the honor with TCU’s Rafael Abreu.