Provost candidate visits USF

On a two-day visit to the USF Tampa campus, one of the top four candidates for provost, Stephen Lehmkuhle, from the University of Missouri System, made a “personable impression” on at least one member of the faculty.

Among his many stops Friday, Lehmkuhle met with about 25 faculty and staff members in a forum where topics ranged from faculty governance and research to economic development in public universities, said Stuart Silverman, dean of the Honors College and chairman of the search committee.

Silverman said prior to the question-and-answer session, Lehmkuhle gave a 20-minute presentation that focused on economic development in public universities, particularly USF.

Although a number of the questions directed to Lehmkuhle were about economic development, associate director of theater David Frankel said he asked the provost candidate about his feelings on the role of undergraduate education at a Research I university such as USF.

“I was trying to find out (Lehmkuhle’s) feelings on the undergraduate programs since (at USF), there seems to be an emphasis on research and graduate programs,” Frankel said.

Frankel also said that he found Lehmkuhle’s speech very interesting.

“Lehmkuhle tried to expand on the notion of economic development by focusing on the ways on which a variety of actions can lead to economic development as an outcome of a public university,” Frankel said.

After the forum, Lehmkuhle gathered once again with the search committee in a meeting where members of the board asked the candidate questions regarding his background, his role as a provost and his plans for USF if chosen for the position.

Another candidate being considered for the provost position is Laura Lindsay, executive assistant from Louisiana State University. She will be on campus today and Tuesday. Renu Khator, the interim provost at USF, will make her rounds at USF on Thursday and Friday this week. The last candidate to visit USF will be Anthony Garro from Lehman College of the City at the University of New York, who will make his visit to campus on Jan. 20 and 21.