CD Review – The Stills “Logic Will Break Your Heart”

The Stills
Logic Will Break Your Heart
Vice/Atlantic

The Stills give a new meaning to the term “manic-depressive” with Logic will Break Your Heart, the debut album from this fresh band.

Fortunately for the group, sad music is what thousands of unhappy teenage byproducts of the MTV generation are into right now.

The Stills bear its own depression, producing 12 unhappy melodies that represent the group’s personal anguish.

Logic is an excellent album, if a listener enjoys hearing a record about self-pity and remorse.

The guitars and drums are steady and enjoyable, but the vocals and the lyrics turn what could have potentially been an excellent record into a pathetic mess of self-hatred.

The album might have been sensational if The Stills had chosen to include more tracks on the project reflecting the brighter side of life.

The opening track on the album, “Lola Stars and Stripes,” is a decent song exemplifying the group’s talent.

It demonstrates the band’s excellent playing skills, mixing fast-paced solos with slower vocals.

“Allison Krause” is a good song that sounds a bit like it came from a ’90s grunge-rock band.

Faster than most of those on the record, this song is a welcome deviation from the melancholy sound of the rest of the album.

“Still in Love Song” is the best track on the record. It’s a clever and catchy tune, but the song is embedded with the same sad emotional state that grows old after the first few tracks.

It takes a certain kind of person to enjoy the sadness of a song like “Animals and Insects.” The song depicts a drunken adventure after a night at the club, with the chorus, “Oh my God/Oh my God/Oh my God.”

The record is a tiresome mix of music, and although the band is decent, there’s not enough variation in the group’s music to make this debut venture project have substantial replay value.

The Stills have a pleasant sound, but the album leaves room for a great amount of improvement.

Emo fans might find that Logic is a choice venture sweeter than a candy bar. But for those not interested in the problematic lives of the band, the record is not worth the shrink wrap it comes in.

In the track “Changes are No Good,” The Stills repeat over and over again the words “I’m just so bored of wasting my time.”

If self pity is not your thing, don’t waste your time. You’ll be bored, too.