Seminoles continue winning streak by blanking Bulls

The Bulls found out they still have a lot to learn after being comprehensively outplayed in a 3-0 loss to FSU Wednesday at the USF Soccer Stadium.

USF went into the game having won three consecutive games but couldn’t get a shot on goal during the 90 minutes of play. FSU competed better in every department for the whole 90 minutes, blanking USF for only the second time this season.

“They’re a good team every year we play them,” defender Stacci Sastre said. “We really need to play against teams of this level and find ways to solve problems so that we can win the games in the future.”

Coach Logan Fleck, while not pleased with the loss, said the Bulls would benefit from playing ranked programs in their later conference matches.

“I’m not satisfied with the result, but there were streaks in that game that I liked.” Fleck said. “We have not played a team as quick or as fast as them. You schedule this type of game whenever you can.”

USF goalkeeper Breck Bankester, the Conference USA leader in saves per game, was kept busy all night as the Seminoles took 24 total shots, 10 of which were on goal. The Bulls were fortunate to go into halftime only trailing by one after a Seminole assault on the USF goal. FSU’s first goal came in the 17th minute when forward Julia Schnugg threaded a pass between two defenders to a streaking Leah Gallegos, who beat Bankester to take the 1-0 lead.

The sophomore from Los Angeles would strike again in the 62nd minute when Schnugg found her at the top of the box. She maneuvered around a Bull defender and stuck a shot in the corner making it 2-0.

Alli Ferreri completed the scoring sending a header past Bankester from Colette Swensen’s long pass to her in the box.

Vicky Pedlar had the Bulls only shot in the 78th minute of play when she dribbled a slow roller towards the FSU goalkeeper.