Women’s golf opens fall season today

The USF women’s golf team opens its regular fall season today at the Cougar Fall Classic at Yeamans Hall golf course in Hanahan, S.C.

The Bulls must replace their top three golfers, Kelly Martin, Katie Ruhe and Fany Schaeffer, who were all-conference selections last season.

The 17-team tournament ends with Tuesday’s final round.

Men’s golf finishes 7th in first fall event

The USF men’s golf team placed seventh last week at the Raising Cane Classic in Hattiesburg, Miss., after shooting a 54-hole total of 868, 24 shots behind the winner, Austin Peay State.

Oscar Fraustro led the Bulls, finishing in a tie for 16th place with a one-over-par 214.

Fraustro finished 12 shots behind Matias Anselmo of Jacksonville State, who won the tournament.

The Bulls return to action Sept. 22 at the Carolina First Intercollegiate in South Carolina.

Smith joins Saint Leo as assistant

Former USF men’s basketball player and assistant coach Cedric Smith joined the Saint Leo University men’s basketball program as an assistant, the Catholic university announced late last Thursday.

Smith, who played for the Bulls from 1997-2001 and spent last season as an assistant to former coach Seth Greenberg, joined another former USF assistant, Dave Madagan, at Saint Leo. Madagan was an assistant from 1996-2001 under Greenberg before becoming coach at Saint Leo.

Smith graduated from USF in 2002 with a bachelor’s degree and ranks ninth in career scoring for the Bulls with 1,180 points, while ranking fifth in career assists with 384.

Smith is also Conference USA career-steals leader with 231.