The Oracle’s top 10 news stories of the summer

(1) USF avoids censure

The story, which was printed in the June 16 issue, highlights the details surrounding USF’s measures against former computer science professor Sami Al-Arian and the anticipated meeting of the American Association of University Professors in regards to a possible censure on USF. The piece reports on how USF barely eluded being censured but instead was condemned for its actions toward USF’s most controversial ex-professor.

(2) Khator prepares for provost challenge

The piece, which was in the July 14 issue, gives an in-depth view of the new interim provost Renu Khator. Khator took S. David Stamps’ position after he resigned due to health concerns. While the lengthy piece gives the reader lots of details about Khator’s experience on the administration field, a Q & A section gives the reader a quick overview of Khator’s interests outside the professional world of USF.

(3) Board says Legislature at fault for tuition hike

Published on June 23, the story is one of the most important stories of the summer. The article explains how the state Legislature approved a budget cut that sliced higher education by $40 million and affected over 22,000 new students. At the same time, this piece gives a better understanding of why the USF Board of Trustees approved the tuition increase.

(4) SARS and studying abroad

The story, which was published on May 15, touches upon the different procedures various college campuses across the nation dealt with when faced with the possibility of the outbreak reaching their schools. In addition, the piece mentions how fear of the syndrome affected the USF community when its study-abroad program in China was canceled. The effect of the SARS epidemic, that first hit Asia, surpassed borders by reaching a country as close as Canada and by raising the awareness about the disease in universities throughout the United States.

(5)Loads of paint and a little debate

Published on July 14, the story reported on the two sides of the debate about USF’s new effort to attract more students, more profit and change its old image by creating of a new one. The piece also raised questions to why USF is eager to obtain a new appearance. Comments by students and that administrators alike raise the argument of a more ‘professional look’ for USF is pointed out throughout this piece.

(6) Moffitt gets new tower to bolster research efforts

USF’s efforts to expand into a more efficient research university were noted with the addition of a new building in the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center at USF. The article, published on June 30, states that the almost finished $186-million structure includes a highly developed CAT scan that can give results in 15 minutes or less instead of the previous 45 minutes it took others CAT scans. The piece also reports that a former medical engineer and philanthropist Vincent A. Stabile gave the biggest private donation of $15 million, and the research tower is named in his honor.

(7) Barnes & Noble takes over

The story, appearing in the June 26 issue, ranks number seven on the list. The article deals with the book giant, Barnes & Noble College Bookstore Incorporated, taking over the USF Bookstore and running it independently from USF management by the end of the summer. The piece also mentions the reactions regarding the possible effects of this business deal from local independent bookstores that also cater to USF students.

(8) Technology park to attract new business and research

The article shows USF wishes to expand its technological grounds. The article, printed on June 16, mentions USF’s intentions to build a technology park, a project set to start this fall, and end in approximately 15 months. Nevertheless, the piece also mentions that such a venture is estimated to cost around $40 million and it will be partly financed by the USF Foundation.

(9) New bill will cap president’s salaries

The article indicates how a law, recently approved by the Florida Legislature, will restrict university presidents’ salaries, which are paid with state funds, to $225,000. At number nine this article, published on May 29, mentions that USF’s president Judy Genshaft recent salary increase to $325,000 will not be affected by this new bill since her raise was approved this past December. It also says Genshaft is among the highest paid university presidents who have state salaries.

(10) USF fires Lewis

The article, printed on May 22, reports that USF administrator, Scott Lewis, got the boot from the administration shortly after he was charged with misdemeanor voyeurism. It was a short stay for Lewis at USF, as the piece reports that he was a USF staff member for only two months in a position with a $145,000 annual salary.

Compiled by The Oracle News Staff