Click to read about the best places to eat on campus, freshman packing tips, and how to keep in touch with friends.

Holly C’s putrid problem persists

When Marisol Ray stepped into the elevator of her residence hall last week, she found a not-so-pleasant surprise. In the corner of the Holly C elevator, Ray saw feces smeared on the floor.

Ray, a resident director of Holly North residence halls, said this wasn’t the first time this happened in Holly C, where she lives.

“That was the second time,” Ray said. “I had been away at a conference the first time, and in a report, we had that there was feces smeared on the floor.”

After the incident, Ray said resident assistants posted notices throughout the halls to request anyone with additional information report it to staff members.

“It creates a very unsafe environment for my residents,” Ray said.

The elevator was closed Thursday, so housekeeping could sterilize the area with biohazard materials. Prior to closing the elevator, Ray said she verified that it would not affect any students with disabilities.

Once the elevator is approved to be safe according to health standards, it will be reopened.

Ray said University Police is aware of the situation because the elevator’s light bulbs are being unscrewed repeatedly.

Resident Dean Ruark said he has noticed light bulbs have been tampered with in the past. But last week, Ruark said, he and his roommate saw the feces in the elevator.

“It was just the worst smell ever,” Ruark said. “We both went running out of there, and we knew what it was.”

Ruark said he is concerned about the situation because he and other residents may be charged for the incident.

“I thought that was kind of unfair,” Ruark said.

However, Famita Mezger, area coordinator of Holly and Kosove, said students will not be charged unless the situation continues to be a problem.

Mezger said she has not received a bill for the cleaning yet, but added that residents have the right to appeal the charge, and Residence Life takes each appeal into consideration.

“We always put up signs and give them a chance to let them speak and let them know there is a possibility. And whatever staff lives in the building pays the cost, too,” Mezger said. “Because the materials are expensive, (Residence Life) has taken up the cost of the first incident.”