Bulls drop pair in Miami

The USF women’s tennis team returned home from a weekend in Miami with two losses, dropping its record to 2-6 for the season.

USF played Miami on Saturday, and the Hurricanes showed the Bulls why they are ranked No. 13 in the nation by winning 7-0.

The Hurricanes (5-2) swept the singles matches, all in straight sets, and continued their domination by winning all three spots in doubles.

Coming into Sunday’s match, Florida International seemed to be a more competitive match for USF. Instead, the Bulls lost 6-1 to No. 64 FIU (3-6).

Fabiana Taverna defeated FIU’s Desanka Jovanovic 6-4, 6-4 in the No. 1 singles spot, which earned the Bulls their only point this weekend.

Bulls’ freshman Luisa Obando won 7-5 in her first set against Bruna Discordia, then lost the next two 6-0, 7-5.

Also, USF’s Gina Craig won her first set 6-1 against Davina Duronio before losing back-to-back sets 6-2, 6-3.

While Taverna’s win and Obando and Craig’s first-set victories provided the team with some signs of a potential comeback, FIU carried its winning momentum into the doubles matches, where it won all three.

Florida State will take on the Bulls Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts.

FSU (6-3), coming off a 4-3 loss on Sunday against No. 30 Alabama, is ranked No. 57 in the nation.