No quick repairs for Bulls

USF women’s basketball coach Jose Fernandez has seen his team struggle through the past two months of the season, and he’s seen a current 10-game losing streak unfold before his eyes. Although Fernandez has seen the struggles first-hand, he just can’t seem to find the right way to fix them.

“Every time you plug a hole, it seems another hole comes up,” Fernandez said. “You try and build on your strengths and correct your weaknesses, and one game you shoot 18-for-23 from the free throw line, and the next game you miss nine out of your first 10. That’s not building on what you’re doing well.”

Fernandez needs to search for a few extra corks to plug the remaining holes in his team’s game when the Bulls (5-16, 0-8 in Conference USA) face Tulane tonight at 7 in the Sun Dome.

“We’re going into a four-game homestand,” Fernandez said. “We’ve been struggling a little bit, as our record indicates, but we’ve just got to keep plugging away, and hopefully, we can go on a run here in the last six games.”

With only six games remaining, all against C-USA opponents, the Bulls want to revisit Memphis, the site of this year’s conference tournament.

“That’s our goal, to get to Memphis,” Fernandez said.

But getting back to Memphis is going to take some work, and more importantly, victories.

“I think four (wins) would be the magic number, four out of the next six,” Fernandez said. “But right now we’re just concentrating on getting one.”

The Bulls have a second opportunity to pick up a victory this weekend when they host Southern Miss Sunday at 1 p.m.

Adam Adkins covers women’s basketball and can be reached at oraclesports@yahoo.com