Making sense of the rules

When it comes to holding students responsible for their actions, referrals will possibly be made to Student Judicial Services.

Jason Spratt, coordinator for Student Affairs at Student Judicial Services, said that Student Judicial Services makes no prejudgment on a student and that it makes sure the students are aware of their rights and responsibilities while listening to what happened. It is not until all avenues have been looked at that a decision is made.

However, the judicial services do not in any way use legal jargon, Spratt said.

“We are very different from the legal side on handling situations,” he said. “We weigh all factors of the case, the situation and whether the student has a past violation or not.”

The 2001-02 Student Handbook lists three separate alcohol-related offenses to the Student Code of Conduct. The first is in reference to underage zero-tolerance in a motor vehicle, the second refers to disorderly intoxication in public and causing disturbance to others. And the third deals with any violation of USF’s Alcohol Policy, which “establishes guidelines for the sale, service and consumption of alcoholic beverages on campus in compliance of federal and state laws.”

If found responsible for breaking any of these rules, Student Judicial Services will follow its process in determining the type of sanction, if any.

Spratt said for the 2000-01 school year, 64 cases of underage violations were adjudicated at Student Judicial Services, including four violations involving students over 21.

“There could have been other instances, but they were not referred to us,” he said.

Student Judicial Services functions as an active umbrella in the judicial system for Student Activities, Residence Services, Student Affairs and Campus Recreation. Each branch reports the case to Student Judicial Students Services, and some may or may not be adjudicated, Spratt said. Each branch has its own judicial system within to make decisions as well.

Residence Services deals with alcohol-related instances, as well. According to the Resident Handbook, a resident who is 21 or older may possess and consume alcohol strictly in his/her room or apartment. If the resident has roommates under 21, they may not possess or consume alcohol in their presence.

But in the end, Student Judicial Services is on campus to help the students, Spratt said.

“We are here to educate, develop and teach the students,” he said.