Spring sessions continue to please Leavitt

Jim Leavitt continues to be happy with the performance of South Florida’s football team after a strong workout Tuesday.

“These guys worked extremely hard,” Leavitt said.

“I was really happy with them. I thought they did a real good job. I’m real encouraged as we get ready for the fall.”

The team continued its fall conditioning, and both the offense and defense had good days.

“I thought (defensive back) D’Juan Brown had an awfully good day,” Leavitt said. “(Defensive back) Ron Hemingway played well, and (safety) J.R. Reed always plays well.”

The defense caught Leavitt’s eye, and the linebacking core looked strong.

“I thought the defensive front came ready to go,” Leavitt said. “Courtney Davenport looked good at linebacker today.”

The Bulls also worked on punt returns and are narrowing the list down for the team’s returners.

“We worked on kickoff return today, and I thought that that work was well done,” Leavitt said.

Some of the players that shined out to Leavitt from the returning team were Kenny Robinson and Brian Fisher, who came back from injuries. C.J. Lewis, who redshirted last season and was a state track champion, helped Titusville’s Astronaut High School football team to second place in the state during the 2000 season.

Robinson, a junior defensive back, practiced today after a groin injury suffered Saturday.

“He worked today,” Leavitt said. “I thought he was going to be hurt, but he went today.”

Bryan Fazio