Sailing team stays home to save up

The USF sailing team canceled trips to both regattas it was scheduled to compete in last weekend in an effort to save money.Coach Stephanie Doyle said the cancellations, which were for regattas at the Naval Academy and Georgia Tech, were made so that the team can afford to travel to Hawaii for the National Championships. The team will attempt to qualify for the national regatta this weekend.

“We didn’t go to save money,” Doyle said. “In case we make Hawaii we want to make sure we have enough money to do that.”The regatta at Georgia Tech was the last of five South Points regional events in which the top teams advance to this weekend’s district championships. Doyle said the team had already qualified for the district regatta after the first four South Points events, leaving no need to compete in Georgia.

The cancellations marked the second straight weekend off for the Bulls, leaving a three-week stretch between regattas. Doyle said the team kept fresh for the district regatta by scrimmaging against Eckerd and Brown.

The team will have to finish in the top two at the district regatta, held at the College of Charleston, to advance to Hawaii. Doyle said this week will be used for last-minute meetings and practices on the 420 boat, which is slightly different from what the team normally uses. Doyle said she is not worried about the different boat.

“We typically perform well in the 420s,” she said.Doyle said she feels confident about the weekend and is hopeful the team will get to use the money they saved this weekend.”I think that we could finish in the top two easily,” Doyle said. “I think we have a very good shot at going to nationals.”