Second City comedians bring laughs to USF

Live from the University of South Florida’s Special Events Center, it’s the Second City Comedy Troupe, a touring cast of stand-up comedians, whose past members have included: Mike Myers, Chris Farley, Martin Short and John Candy. The Campus Activities Board will sponsor this event that will start at 8 p.m. tonight.

Karla Stevenson, the promotions director for CAB, said she is not sure who is planning on attending this year.

“It is a touring cast, it could include people who will eventually end up on Saturday Night Live,” Stevenson said. “They start off with the tour this year and then maybe go on to bigger and better things.”

Second City, as stated in a news release, is an award-winning, world-famous comedy troupe. The troupe will be performing stand-up comedy acts throughout the night, along with workshops in which the attendees can participate, which will be held most likely in the Marshall Center, Stevenson said.

Stevenson said the troupe goes around trying to develop better comedy. The event last year drew many people, and it looks like this year will, as well, she said.

“We had a lot of people show up last year, and it wasn’t even on a Friday night,” she said. “So we are expecting a good turnout this year. Plus, we have had a lot of people calling us and asking us about it.”

The event is free and open to all USF students, faculty and the Tampa community. There will be concession stands available, and beer will be sold, Stevenson said.

Stevenson said CAB was able to purchase the beer because the money comes from separate funds and an outsider vendor.

Rob Thomas from the Capital Times, who was quoted in the news release, said, “Not only are the exercises funny and clever, but watching the actors on the fly is exhilarating.”

Stevenson said she agrees that there will be non-stop laughter.”It’s going to be fun, and anybody who is interested in comedy or interested in SNL should come and check it out,” she said.