Letters to the Editor 1/25

War on terrorism not progressing enough

The war on terrorism has been raging since Sept. 11, yet there are many questions that have yet to be answered. Right now, we are told by the U.S. military that there are approximately “150 battlefield detainees” in Guantanamo. Will there be more detainees coming over? How long are they going to stay there? When the U.S. Army is done with them, what will happen to them? Will the United States open the gate and let the Cuban government deal with them? Are they going to be shipped back to Afghanistan? Will they disappear or accidentally be fed to the sharks? Will they join the witness protection program and live off the American people at an undisclosed, exotic location with all the luxury trimmings? Why were they not left in Afghanistan? Why worry about these people? Because the American people ultimately will have to pay for their care for the duration of their detainment and for any backlash.

There have been cries that the human rights of the detainees are being violated. I do not understand these outcries. They are getting three meals a day, they have clothes on their backs, they have adequate medical help, they are safe from being killed or from trying to kill themselves, and they are on a tropical island with good weather. Maybe it is because these detainees can’t blow themselves up like they want to. Maybe we have been too nice to them – we can ship them to Siberia or let the Afghan warloards decide what to do. Or, just maybe we can provide them with the reciprocal treatment that they would provide to any of their captives.

Why has the “War on Terrorism” not progressed on a massive scale to the countries that are known terrorist breading grounds? Iran, Iraq, the Palestinian Authority and Syria continue to build their war machines while oppressing their people; Saudi Arabia is still supporting both sides of the battle and is beginning to show signs of siding more with the terrorists; and India and Pakistan attempt to play nuclear brinkmanship while the world idly watches. If not, then we can only expect more attacks. The only bright side of this “war” is the possibility of turning Afghanistan around; but it is now up to the local people to take the pledged moneys to rebuild their country. My only hope is that the Afghan people rebuild their country to become the newest friendly nation in the United Nations.

• Matthew Silverman is a senior majoring in management information science.Al-Arian, Al-Najjar deserve support

All my friends and members of several organizations of which I was once active, such as the Coalition to Protect Political Freedom, have enormous respect and fondness for Sami and his wife, Nahla.

After Dr. Mazen Al-Najjar, brother of Nahla Al-Arian, was released last year, I met him at a reception on Capitol Hill and marveled at his sense of humor despite all that he and his family have endured because of Muslim and Palestinian haters, Stephen Emerson and Daniel Pipes. He, Al-Arian, and their wives are treasures this country and USF would do well to keep.

Others who I admire are those who have not been shy in their support of Al-Arian. Dr. Nancy Tyson has been delightful in both her strength and in her recitation of facts which dispute allegations made by Dr. Genshaft and the Board of Trustees.

Thanks for the articles by The Oracle with respect to an issue which affects all of us, no matter which state in which we live, our religious or political beliefs, or the stands of our own universities.

• Betty Molchany, J.D. lives in Virginia.