America’s Sweethearts are pretty women; funny men

If you were to lock some of the world’s most talented and gifted actors into a room and instruct them to be funny for two hours, the results would be much like America’s Sweethearts. It is hilarious — so amusing, in fact, that the movie is very easy to sit through for two hours, laugh at, and not notice until you are ready to leave that it has one of the most poorly developed plots in film history.

The tried and true boy meets girl formula is stretched into actor (Eddie played by Cusack)meets actress (Gwen played by Zeta Jones) and then they fight a little.

What makes the movie so watchable, and more importantly, so enjoyable, is the beautiful way each actor creates his character. There is hardly a name in the credits that you will not recognize, and it is truly worthwhile to sit through the movie to watch each actor deliver a more inspired performance than the last.

Crystal’s witty publicist perfectly complements Cusack’s “neurotic schizophrenic,” and both are offset by the charmingly selfish diva so exquisitely portrayed by Zeta-Jones. Roberts and Azaria round out the cast neatly, playing characters that are lovably affable and campily ridiculous respectively, in each actor’s signature style. Be on the lookout also for appearances by Stanley Tucci as the ever fickle studio executive trying to make the movie release a success to earn back the millions the studio put up to front its costs, and Christopher Walken as the director turned Unabomber who could clearly care less.

Seth Green appears as Billy Crystal’s assistant, and even Alan Arkin makes a cameo as the Guru at the rehab center who cannot get Eddie out of there quickly enough (in all fairness, he had overstayed his two week visit by six and a half months).

Go see America’s Sweethearts. Intelligent it is not, but it will keep you entertained for two hours, and really, why else would you go see a movie?

Copyright Daily Pennsylvanian