USF baseball matches last season’s wins at midseason

Senior infielder John Montes at the plate against Wichita State on March 5.
USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF baseball has reached its midseason, powering through a turnaround year.

Despite losing to Florida Gulf Coast on Tuesday 7-5, It has already won 21 games, matching the same total from last season with a road victory against Tulane on Sunday.

The Bulls (21-16, 7-5 AAC) stand third out of 10 teams in the conference. They are two games behind first-place UTSA.

South Florida has flourished offensively with senior infielder John Montes, senior outfielder Drew Brutcher, redshirt senior catcher Ben Rozenblum and junior outfielder Jackson Mayo batting at least .300 and having over .500 slugging percentage.

The Bulls also have been dominant at home with a 15-7 record, while struggling on the road, going 6-9. 

Related: Bulls baseball dominant in all phases during four-game Marist matchup

Midseason best game

USF edges Tulane 9-8 in extra innings on April 14, stays top 3 in AAC

Coming off of back-to-back losses against Tulane, the Bulls were desperate for a win heading into Sunday’s match-up. 

They needed this win to remain in contention for first place in the conference standings.

In a close matchup between South Florida and Tulane, offense was the driving force. Throughout the game, three lead changes kept the momentum swinging as each side battled for dominance.

South Florida took an early lead in the second and third innings with timely hits from sophomore infielder Eric Snow and senior catcher/utility player Joaquin Monque.

Junior outfielder Marcus Brodil’s standout performance came with three runs and two hits. 

As the game progressed, both teams were keeping the score tight. Monque and junior outfielder Jackson Mayo delivered crucial home runs in the fifth inning, giving the Bulls a two-run lead. 

Despite Tulane’s efforts to stage a comeback, sophomore infielder Matt Rose proved to be the difference-maker in the tenth inning with a clutch hit, securing the win for the Bulls.

Standout performances from Snow, Monque and Rose, along with Brodil’s notable contribution, highlighted the depth of USF.

Their ability to deliver in pressure situations proved instrumental in securing the victory.

Midseason heartbreaking loss

UCF claims 1-0 victory in War on I-4 series against USF on March 3

In a War of I-4 matchup, South Florida faced off against in-state rivals UCF, with the series on the line. 

Unfortunately for USF, UCF emerged victorious, clinching the series with a 1-0 win in a closely contested battle.

UCF took an early lead in the second inning. They capitalized on a scoring opportunity to bring in the first and only run of the game, putting USF on the defensive.

Despite USF’s efforts, including a strong performance from junior pitcher Matt Brown who only gave up two hits, the batting lineup struggled to overcome UCF’s defense and pitching.

The loss was a tough blow for USF, as it meant conceding the series to their rivals UCF, having won only one out of the three games.

Midseason MVP

John Montes

John Montes dominates the Bulls in multiple offensive categories, making him midseason MVP.

Montes leads the team with a batting average of .366. His on-base plus slugging percentage (OPS) of 1.035, slugging percentage (SLG%) of .588 and 48 hits are all team-highs.

He has recorded 31 RBIs, 11 doubles and six home runs.

His ability to get on base consistently has been crucial for USF’s offensive success. 

This has given opportunities for his teammates to drive in runs and keep rallies alive.

Montes’ defensive performance stands out. With 224 chances, he demonstrates his active involvement in defensive plays. He has 154 putouts and 67 assists.

The senior infielder’s all-around performance solidifies his position as mid-season MVP player for South Florida. 

Midseason honorable mention

Jackson Mayo

Jackson Mayo has been a standout performer for South Florida, making significant contributions offensively and defensively. 

Mayo has consistently delivered at the plate, with a batting average of .305 and an OPS of .960.

He also tallied 43 hits, including 13 doubles and a team-leading seven home runs. Mayo also has 34 RBIs and seven stolen bases.

Defensively, Mayo provides stability in the outfield, with a fielding percentage of .984. He has recorded 64 putouts and committed just a single error. 

His defensive stability complements his offensive impact, making him an invaluable asset on both ends of the field.

Looking ahead

USF baseball has 19 games remaining in the season, 15 will be against in-conference opponents.

They have Rice, FAU, ECU, UTSA and UAB remaining.

For the Bulls to have a shot at first place, how they fare against these opponents will determine if this season continues to be a turnaround for South Florida.

Standout junior second baseman Bobby Boser has been a key player for the Bulls. He is batting .300 and a .717 slugging percentage through 17 games played.

On March 10, Boser suffered a hand injury.

He took batting practice on Sunday at Tulane and did the same on Tuesday before facing FGCU, per head coach Billy Mohl.

With the assumption that batting practice goes well for Boser, he will likely play sometime this weekend against Rice.

His return can help the Bulls for the second half of the season.

Grade: B

Next up for the Bulls is an in-conference match-up against Rice at home on Friday. The game begins at 6:30 pm EST and will be streaming on ESPN+ and available to listen on Bulls Unlimited.