How USF is celebrating Women’s History Month

The Office of Multicultural Affairs is hosting three events during March for Women’s History Month, a substantial decrease from the twelve events planned last year. ORACLE PHOTO/ MRIDULA SINGH

Olivia Moore, a sophomore sociology major, is reminded of her great aunt every Women’s History Month

Her great aunt was a suffragette who passed away when Moore was six years old.

“[My aunt] fought for women’s right to vote, and her courage and determination inspire me to stand up for what I believe in, especially when it comes to equality,” Moore said. “This month is a tribute to her legacy and other women who have shaped our society.”

The Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) has a few events planned for students to recognize women’s historical achievements this month.

Last year, OMA had 12 events planned in the month of March, compared to only three this year.

Related: OMA Women’s History Month events to celebrate, educate students

Events include showcasing women-centered student organizations, a meeting discussing intersectionality and a poetry workshop.

OMA’s celebration of Women’s History Month will kick off next Wednesday. Here’s a look at some of the events lined up:

Bull Market Showcase: Wednesday from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. in MSC Plaza

The beginning of the month will be celebrated with a showcase of women-centered student organizations at Bull Market. 

Flyers and merchandise will be given away to students.

QTPOC & Coffee: Thursday, March 21 from 5 – 6 p.m. in MSC 3300

QTPOC & Coffee is part of a discussion-based series hosted by OMA. During Black History Month, OMA hosted a similar event titled QTBlack and Ballroom. 

Maria Cortes, a sophomore English major, mentioned that she was considering attending QTPOC and Coffee after passing by their event during Feb.

“I think events like this help include all women on campus, no matter their race or sexuality,” Cortes said.

The event will include a conversation addressing the intersectionality of race, ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation. 

Food, drinks and a custom mug will be provided at the event.

Poetry Workshop: Thursday, March 28 from 5 – 6:30 p.m. in the MSC Centre Gallery

OMA will be collaborating with Kitchen Table Literacy Arts, an organization focused on writers who are women of color, to host a poetry workshop featuring female authors and artwork. 

Students will be able to create poetry together under the guidance of professional authors and experienced writers.

Samira Patel, a freshman English major, said she was particularly excited for the poetry workshop.

“Writing has always been a way for underrepresented groups to provoke change and inspire others in their community, so I’m looking forward to hearing from other writers,” Patel said.

Although OMA has reduced the events planned for Women’s History Month this year, it aims to maintain meaningful discourse on women’s contributions and issues, according to its website.