Women’s soccer sets program record for most goals scored in one game

Junior forward Anna Sutter had a hat trick this match while junior defender Georgia Brown scored four goals. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

South Florida’s women’s soccer set a program record for goals in a single game in a 13-0 shutout against Florida College on Thursday at Corbett Stadium.

The match was reminiscent of their last outing with the Falcons (0-3-1), where the Bulls (3-3) set their previous scoring record of 11 goals in a shutout win on Sept. 21, 2018.

In Thursday’s match, seven different USF players scored. The team also tied a program record of 11 assists.

The Bulls placed nine goals in the first half alone — four from junior defender Georgia Brown who tied a program record of most goals in a game. Three more came from junior forward Anna Sutter and one from sophomore defender Signe Markvardsen.

Sophomore forward Gentiana Fetaj also provided three assists during the half while junior defender Vivianne Bessette scored off a penalty kick in the 42nd minute. 

USF has had more corner-kick opportunities than their opponents this season, which has given the team the upper hand this season and continued into this match. Out of the 10 corner kicks the Bulls have taken, five became goals.  

Head coach Denise Schilte-Brown said they have been working on finishing plays in the opponents’ goal box.

“We have been working on different opportunities that we were looking for in the final third and corner kicks had been a focus, so it panned out well,” Schilte-Brown said.

“It’s good for us to see the back of the net. When you get an opportunity to do that, you don’t forget that feeling and gain that momentum.”

All four of Brown’s goals came from corner kick opportunities, breaking the game open for her and her teammates. 

“I knew as soon as I was going up for that corner, I visualized and wanted that goal,” Brown said about her first goal. “It gave us more energy the first minute of the game and [allowed us to] keep going for the rest of the game.” 

USF dominated in the first half with 24 shots, seven corner kicks and 72% ball possession compared to zero shots and zero corners from the Falcons.

The Bulls maintained their aggressive offensive attacks in the second half. Freshman defender Regan Kelly scored off a corner kick in the 46th minute.

Two more goals came from freshman midfielder Micahela Hill at the 51st and 62nd minute, in addition to one from junior midfielder Kendall Lincoln at the 58th minute.

Four more corner kicks and 12 more shots were added from the Bulls while Florida College gained its first corner kick and shot of the game in the 78th minute.

In preparation for their next match against UCF, Brown said this game has given them the confidence to face off their I-4 rivals on Sunday.

“Personally, I’m buzzing for UCF,” Brown said. “We’ve shown here that we can score goals. It was a good routine and we practiced our plays. I’m hoping that will come out against UCF.” 

Up next, South Florida is set to play I-4 rivals UCF on Sunday in Orlando. The game will start at 6 p.m. and will be broadcast on ESPN+.