Associate head coach reportedly leaving USF baseball one day after pitching coach

Bo Durkac (right) worked closely with former Bulls infielder Carmine Lane (left). USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Following pitching coach Karsten Whitson’s departure on Tuesday, USF baseball witnessed an even greater shakeup in their staff room.

Associate head coach Bo Durkac reportedly left South Florida on Wednesday, according to D1 Baseball’s Kendall Rogers.

https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status/1663924529377230848?s=46&t=i_MEDYBGBzaRXxJXZv4QyA

Durkac was a volunteer assistant with Miami in 2018, joining USF as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator in July 2019. He was promoted to associate head coach in August 2021, where he worked with the infielders and hitters and coordinated recruiting efforts. 

Current Bulls coach Billy Mohl and Durkac were also on the Illinois State coaching staff together from 2010-14. 

As Whitson did with pitching, South Florida saw great success in hitting during the 2021 and 2022 campaigns.

In 2022, the Bulls reached their highest home run total in a season since 1997 with 60. They also ranked 43rd in the NCAA in walks during the regular season with 269.

Players like infielder Carmine Lane thrived during the 2021 and 2022 seasons under Durkac. Lane paced the USF offense in batting average and RBIs in back-to-back seasons. He was also selected in the 19th round of the 2022 MLB Draft by the Miami Marlins.

In the 2023 season, the Bulls couldn’t put points on the scoreboard like the previous season. They totaled 345 runs, ranking second to last in the American.