Highly-ranked guard prospect commits to USF

The Bulls landed a top 30 point guard prospect in the 2023 recruiting class in Jayden Reid. /PREP HOOPS PHOTO

Four-star point guard Jayden Reid announced his decision to commit to USF Wednesday in a May 17 post on his Twitter account.

Reid is one of the top prospects in the 2023 class. He was the No. 124 ranked overall prospect in the Rivals150 and the No. 28 ranked point guard prospect, according to Bullsinsider.

South Florida competed with 13 other schools to sign Reid. This included SMU, Eastern Michigan and Seattle among other programs.

Before committing to USF, Reid was planning on committing to Virginia Commonwealth. He was set to publicly announce his commitment to VCU (27-8, 15-3 A10) until former coach Mike Rhoades accepted a coaching gig at Penn State on March 29, according to Bullsinsider.

While closing out his senior year, Reid racked up many accolades. He was named to the National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (NIBC) Second Team and all-NIBC Defensive Team. The 5 foot 10 inch-guard also led his school, Long Island Lutheran, to a New York State Federation Class AA championship. 

Reid could improve the Bulls’ rotation this upcoming season due to his skills on both sides of the court. Scouts noted his methodical approach to creating scoring opportunities for himself.

“Reid is a shifty lead guard who gets to his spots offensively and is a pest on the defensive end,”  the account @247HSHoops on Twitter said.

New coaching is what ultimately drew Reid to USF. The Long Island Native said that Bulls coach Amir Abdur-Rahim was aggressively recruiting him. 

“South Florida actually came in later in my recruiting process, but coach [Abdur- Rahim] came in strong,” Reid said to 247Sports. “He’s the head coach and not a lot of kids get recruited directly by the head coach. He called me every day, talked to my parents and even set up the visit and all the details. It showed me the belief he has in me.”