Update: Men’s basketball roster changes

Sophomore guard Ryan Conwell (0) announced his intention to transfer after starting in 19 games as a freshman. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

A new era of USF men’s basketball has arrived, led by the hiring of head coach Amir Abdur-Rahim. After four consecutive losing seasons, the Bulls attempt to rebuild in hopes of getting back to NCAA tournament play for the first time since 2012.

Senior Kennesaw State guards Chris Youngblood, Kasen Jennings and Brandon Stroud were the first players to announce their intention to transfer to USF after Abdur-Rahim was hired in March.

Since then, senior Northern Florida guard Jose Placer and junior Northwest Florida forward Kasean Pryor became the next two commits to become members of the new-look Bulls roster.

Here is a look at the latest roster changes.

Daniel Tobiloba

Freshman center Daniel Tobiloba announced his intention to commit to USF on April 12 after signing with Kennesaw State in November.

Tobiloba is considered to be one of the top prospects out of Iowa, averaging 8.5 points and 14.7 rebounds per game playing for Grandview Christian.

With the departure of center Russel Tchewa, Tobiloba will look to make an immediate impact as a strong presence in the paint. His size will also be an asset to the roster, standing at 7’0” tall and weighing 238 pounds.

Kobe Knox

Sophomore forward Kobe Knox has announced that he will be transferring to USF on May 6  after averaging 5.3 points and 1.7 rebounds per game as a true freshman at Grand Canyon.

Knox was a local standout, averaging 16.1 points per game during his four years at Tampa Catholic. He is the brother of NBA forward Kevin Knox, who was drafted ninth overall in the 2018 NBA Draft.

His recruitment marks Abdur-Rahim’s first local recruit, something the Bulls have struggled with during former coach Brian Gregory’s tenure. Gregory only recruited four freshman commits from Florida high schools during his six-year stint.

Outgoing Transfers

Russel Tchewa

After initially intending to declare for the NBA Draft, senior center Russel Tchewa has transferred to Georgia, as announced by the Bulldogs on May 2. He started in 59 games for the Bulls after transferring from Texas Tech in 2020.

Tchewa was the Bulls’ second leading scorer last season, averaging a career high 11.1 points per game. His 8.6 rebounds per game led the team and ranked fourth in the AAC conference.

Trey Moss

Redshirt sophomore guard Trey Moss has transferred to William and Mary after spending two seasons at USF, as announced on his Twitter on Friday.

Moss played in 39 games, averaging 1.3 points per game. He was a three-star recruit out of Windermere High School.

Ryan Conwell

Sophomore guard Ryan Conwell has announced on Twitter he will be transferring to Indiana State on April 25.

Conwell made 19 starts as a true freshman, scoring 5.1 points per game. He shot 35% from the field and 30% from three. His best outing was against Tulane on Feb. 18, where he scored 20 points in the loss.

The 6 foot 4-inch guard was also a valuable defender. He ranked second on the team in steals with 28, respectively.