USF student arrested at Florida Capitol protest

USF junior and professional and technical communications major Elijah Keila (back left) was charged with trespass in structure or conveyance. INSTAGRAM/@thedreamdefenders

A USF student was arrested alongside multiple others during a Wednesday protest outside of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ office at the Florida Capitol.

USF junior and professional and technical communications major Elijah Keila was charged with trespass in structure or conveyance, according to a report from the Leon County Sheriff’s Office.

Florida statute 810.08 states that any person who willfully remains in a structure after being warned to leave by an authorized owner or official and refuses to depart will be charged with trespass in structure or conveyance. 

The protests began in the afternoon, where the dozens in attendance voiced their concerns about certain legislation proposed by DeSantis. The Florida House recently passed Senate Bill 266 on Wednesday, which will prevent Florida’s public universities from funding critical race theory and diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.

After warnings from police to leave due to the building closing, select protestors continued their sit-in outside of DeSantis’ office and demanded to speak with the governor. Those who stayed were eventually taken into custody.

The protest was organized by Florida human rights organization the Dream Defenders. Protestors were also affiliated with groups such as Florida Rising and Showing Up for Racial Justice.

This is a developing story. Stay with The Oracle for updates.