USF bringing more than just football in spring game

USF football will complete its spring preparations this week for the spring game. ORACLE PHOTO/HANNAH HALILI

South Florida football will host its spring game on Friday, but there is more than just a spring scrimmage going on at Corbett Stadium this year. 

The action doesn’t just start at kickoff, as USF Athletics will host a Fan Fest starting at 5 p.m. for all Bulls fans to enjoy. Along with the pregame celebration is a unique halftime event, with the USF football alumni game making its return after the first half. 

During Fan Fest, attendees can find a variety of activities and goodies around Corbett, from food trucks to meet and greets. Here is what the Fan Fest includes:

• Multiple giveaways from sponsors and USF 
  • Kick to Win promo
  • Three areas to purchase USF gear 
  • Multiple food options including a Kona mini, trucks and concessions
  • Beer garden
  • Kids Zone with a variety of children’s activities
  • HOT Band roadshow 
  • DJ and on-field MC Greg Wolf 

Along with Fan Fest, supporters are also allowed and encouraged to tailgate beforehand in the lots of Sycamore Drive and the Yuengling Center. 

Once the game begins, the players in green and gold won’t be the only athletes that Bulls admirers will be looking forward to. During halftime, USF football will present the alumni game. 

USF’s alumni game will showcase 55 former Bulls athletes, 14 of which are former NFL players, six Super Bowl team athletes, four Super Bowl champions, three active NFL players, two USF Athletic Hall of Fame members and one three-time CFL Grey Cup champion. 

Five alumni will lead the green team, four of which are former or currently in the NFL. Four former USF athletes will lead the gold, with two formerly in the NFL and one currently playing. 

Some notable names in the coaching rosters include Super Bowl champions Marquez Valdes-Scantling of the Kansas City Chiefs and Sam Barrington Kawika Mitchell of the New York Giants. The Bulls’ Super Bowl competitor is Mitchell Wilcox, who was once with the Cincinnati Bengals. 

Filling in the roles of the quarterback on both ends is Blake Barnett and Super Bowl champion BJ Daniels for the green team and Super Bowl participants Eric Lee and Sampson Genus for the gold. 

Down the list of players is a wide variety of those who have represented the program since 1997, many of whom have left a legacy at USF. 

Now, spectators can watch some of their favorite alumni while taking a sneak peek into what South Florida football has in store for its upcoming season. 

Both the spring game and the alumni match will be available to watch on ESPN+.