USF fires men’s basketball coach Brian Gregory

Brian Gregory won just 42% of the games he coached at USF. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF men’s basketball head coach Brian Gregory was fired effective immediately, Vice President and Director of USF Athletics Michael Kelly announced Friday.

Gregory was hired in 2017 to replace former head coach Orlando Antigua. After finishing 10-22 in the 2017-18 season, the Bulls went 24-14 in 2018-19. It marked the largest improvement in the NCAA and their best season record-wise since making the NCAA tournament in the 2011-12 season. Gregory also led the Bulls to the College Basketball Invitational title that year.

South Florida (14-18, 7-11 AAC) was unable to recreate that success, going 79-107 over the course of Gregory’s tenure. His final game at the helm was in the first round of the AAC tournament in which the Bulls were blown out by Eastern Carolina 73-58 Thursday in Fort Worth. Kelly gave a statement announcing the end of Gregory’s term. 

“Brian has been a true ambassador for the University of South Florida,” Kelly said. “Ultimately, our head coaches and programs are judged by on-court success, and we have not lived up to our expectations for men’s basketball. We thank Brian and his family for all they have done for USF and wish them the very best in their journey.”

The dismissal of Brian Gregory came days before the NCAA transfer portal opening on March 13. The roster will have to address the departure of five players including the all-AAC second team selection, senior guard Tyler Harris. 

Assistant coach Larry Dixon has been appointed interim head coach as Kelly conducts a nationwide search for the 11th head coach in USF men’s basketball program history.