Diversity, equity and inclusion vice president search paused amid DeSantis’ public university investigation

Tricia Penniecook, who had been serving as the interim vice president for DEI, will leave her role to return to the College of Public Health as vice dean for faculty affairs and development, according to the email. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

The search for a new vice president for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) has been paused following uncertainty surrounding Gov. Ron DeSantis’ recent requests and plans relating to DEI initiatives in public universities, according to a Tuesday universitywide email from President Rhea Law.

“Given the uncertainty surrounding any laws or regulations that may eventually come from these requests and proposals, there are too many unknowns to proceed with our current search,” Law wrote.

DeSantis announced his plan to eliminate funding for DEI and critical race theory initiatives in the state’s public universities on Jan. 31. He also requested data on transgender students that sought gender-affirming care in the last five years.

Tricia Penniecook, who had been serving as the interim vice president for DEI, will step back from the position and return to the College of Public Health as vice dean for faculty affairs and development, according to the email.

Penniecook was announced to step into the interim position on Aug. 5, but initial plans to fill the role permanently by the end of last year have officially been scrapped.

USF reported the highest total spending on DEI initiatives in the state at $8.7 million.

This is a developing story. Stay with The Oracle for updates.