Transfer players shine in men’s basketball’s starting five

Senior forward Keyshawn Bryant has made a splash in his first season at USF with an average of 9.8 points per game. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Despite a season filled with ups and downs, the Bulls men’s basketball team has seen some impressive individual performances. Many of these are due to South Florida (8-11, 1-5 AAC) being active during last season’s transfer portal, adding a handful of veteran talent to this year’s roster.

USF boasts three first-year transfers in the starting lineup – senior guard Tyler Harris, sophomore guard Selton Miguel and senior forward Keyshawn Bryant. All three came from Power Five schools looking to become full time starters under coach Brian Gregory.

Midway through the season, here is how the portal has benefitted the Bulls so far.

Tyler Harris

Harris committed to South Florida from Memphis on May 10 for his fifth and final season of eligibility. He also spent one year at Iowa State, never missing a game in his collegiate career.

The senior guard quickly became the offensive leader for the Bulls, averaging 16.3 points per game and 30.6 minutes per game.

Harris put up a season-high total of 31 points against Houston on Jan. 11, shooting nine for 13 in arguably the top performance of the season.

He also drilled the game-winning three-pointer on Dec. 12 against Northern Iowa

Keyshawn Bryant

The fifth-year forward announced his intentions to play for USF on May 23 after four seasons playing at South Carolina, a team he started 62 games with.

Bryant averaged 14.4 points per game while playing 27 minutes per game at South Carolina.

Known for his impressive dunks, Bryant has appeared in 13 games this season for the Bulls. He missed two weeks in November with an illness.

He has averaged 8.6 points per game this season and has grabbed an average of 5.1 rebounds in seven starts.

Bryant put up a season-high of 19 points on seven for 11 shooting during the season opener against Southeast Missouri State.

Selton Miguel

Miguel committed to South Florida on April 28 after playing in 55 career games at Kansas State.

He started in an impressive 38 games in his first two seasons as a Wildcat, averaging 7.2 points per game in his second year.

Miguel has become a reliable scoring piece for the Bulls this season, second only to Tyler Harris for the most points per game, racking up an average of 10.8 points per game on 42% shooting. He has made nine starts this season in 16 appearances.

In one of the top individual performances of the season, Miguel put up 23 points against NJIT, drilling 10 of his 14 shot attempts for a 71% average.