New Amazon lockers open in MSC

The lockers only accept items ordered from Amazon, according to manager of the Amazon Locker+ MSC location Cassandra Krause. ORACLE PHOTO/CLINTON ENGELBERGER

The first Amazon Locker+ location in the Tampa area recently opened in the Marshall Student Center (MSC), providing students an alternative option to receive their Amazon packages on campus, according to manager of the Amazon Locker+ MSC location Cassandra Krause.

Despite an on-campus mailroom already existing, Krause said this hub, which is located across from the Print Center, will offer students a more accessible way to pick up their Amazon packages.

“For customers looking to pick up their order, Amazon offers a network of convenient and secure pickup and return locations with the same shipping speeds and price as doorstep delivery, on qualifying items,” Krause said.

To utilize the lockers, students should select the MSC Amazon Locker+ location as their designated pickup spot when checking out on Amazon. When the package is delivered, an email will be sent to the student that includes a scannable barcode and a pickup code to show to the associate at the location.

Students can also make returns from their Amazon account by selecting the MSC location as the drop off point, Krause said. Following that step, an email will be sent to the student containing a code for them to use at the locker station when dropping off their package.

The lockers will operate from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday-Friday and from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Krause said the lockers have had a high turnout since its opening on Jan. 6, but no numbers or estimates were provided. 

The concept of these lockers are not new – the first locations were built in 2011 in New York, Seattle and London. Since then, thousands of lockers have been built to expand Amazon’s delivery outreach, according to Krause.

“Customers have told us they want more flexibility and control over their Amazon shopping experience, which is why we offer a number of delivery options from home, to work or places they frequent – including Amazon Locker+ locations,” Krause said.