Notebook: Men’s basketball falls to No. 15 Auburn

Graduate student Keyshawn Bryant eclipsed 1,000 career points in Friday night’s loss to No. 15 Auburn. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF men’s basketball lost 67-59 to No. 15 Auburn after letting an early lead slip on Friday at Neville Arena.

Despite the result, the Bulls (0-2) finished the first half up 30-21 and held the Tigers (2-0) to 25% field goal shooting. Auburn eventually caught fire in the second half, outscoring USF 46-29.

Struggles at the free-throw line cost South Florida, shooting 13 of 25 attempts in Friday’s contest. A stronger performance at the charity stripe could have helped them remain competitive down the stretch.

Leading the way for the Bulls in scoring was junior guard Selton Miguel with 13 points and knocking down two three-pointers. Graduate student forward Keyshawn Bryant followed with 10 points and nine rebounds. By hitting a free throw late in the second half, Bryant surpassed 1,000 points in career scoring.

USF men’s and women’s cross country places top 35 at NCAA Regionals

Cross country finished in the top 35 at the NCAA Regionals on Friday in Huntsville, Alabama.

Women’s cross country placed 31st with a score of 901 points and the men’s team finished 21st with a score of 637 points.

Junior Kelly Lynch paced the Bulls in the women’s 5K with a time of 22:42:10 and freshman Cora Kolodge followed with a time of 23:02:50. Freshman Alyssa Wyatt placed third finishing with 23:26:80 minutes.

Senior Ben Kailes led USF in the men’s 10K race with a time of 37:27:20 minutes. Sophomore Sebastian Edwards and graduate student Julian Yescas rounded out the top three with times of 33:28:60 and 34:09:70 minutes, respectively.

Only the top two teams and four individuals automatically qualify for the NCAA championships scheduled for Nov. 19 in Stillwater, Oklahoma.