USF transitions remote only for Tropical Storm Nicole

The university won’t be closing, but will operate remotely Thursday. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOOGLE MAPS

Ahead of Tropical Storm Nicole, USF announced Wednesday it will cease in-person operations and will transition to remote only Thursday.

In-person operations will resume Saturday as the university is closed Friday in observance of Veteran’s Day.

Tropical Storm Nicole is expected to make landfall on the east coast of Florida as a Category 1 hurricane Wednesday night, according to the National Hurricane Center. Tampa Bay may begin to feel its effects Wednesday as well.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis declared a state of emergency Wednesday morning for 34 counties, including Hillsborough, and the entire Tampa Bay area is under a tropical storm warning.

The only groups to continue in-person activities Thursday are USF Health clinical operations and student clinical rotations, medical school classes as well as some USF Athletics teams and staff as determined by the director of athletics, according to the announcement.

All employees should work remotely Thursday, per the announcement, except for those “classified as essential personnel, identified by their supervisors as critical to campus operations, working in a facility that will remain open on Thursday or included in one of the exceptions listed above.”

Tampa and St. Pete residence halls will remain open, as well as USF Health clinical facilities. Dining halls, campus recreation centers, student centers and libraries will also remain open, but could have limited hours.

The Bull Runner won’t be in operation Thursday, according to the USF Tropical Storm Nicole FAQs.

USF will be monitoring the storm as it approaches and post updates on its site as needed.