NOTEBOOK: Women’s soccer gets fourth straight win against ECU

Freshman forward Haizea Aretxabala Blanco’s first collegiate goal put the Bulls over ECU on Sunday. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

After going scoreless to ECU in the first half Sunday, USF women’s soccer returned after the break with a new intensity to extend its win streak to four in a 2-1 comeback victory.

The Bulls’ (7-6, 4-1 AAC) nine shot attempts in the second half nearly doubled their total from the first 45 minutes of the game, and both of USF’s goals were scored in the final half.

Junior defender Lucy Hahn scored off a penalty kick in the 54th minute to tie the game 1-1.

Freshman forward Haizea Aretxabala Blanco scored her first collegiate goal in the 80th minute, giving the Bulls a 2-1 lead and ultimately a win over the Pirates (7-6-2, 2-2-1 AAC).

USF will return to Corbett Stadium to take on Temple on Thursday at 7 p.m. The match will be broadcast on ESPN+ and Bulls Unlimited.

Women’s golf finishes top three in Dale McNamara Invitational

Women’s golf has strung together a pair of solid performances after finishing three out of 13 on Oct. 11 in Tulsa.

Following their 15 of 18 finish in Greenville on Sept. 23, the Bulls have been able to bounce back. They finished the weekend with a score of 874, and this is the second invitational in a row where they have placed in the top three.

Junior Melanie Green and fifth-year Lauren Heinlein were the Bulls’ top performers at the Dale McNamara Invitational with scores of 217. They tied for sixth in a field of 75.

Placed at No. 14 was sophomore Juliana Camargo with a score of 220. Sophomore Leonor Medeiros placed No. 27 with a score of 225.

The Bulls will look to continue their momentum as they compete in the Hurricane Invitational from Oct. 31 to Nov. 1.

Men’s golf gets season low in Vero Beach

Finishing nine out of 16 in Vero Beach on Monday, the USF men’s golf team took a step back from its previous competition in Milwaukee on Oct. 3.

Despite their placement, there were some bright spots in the Bulls’ performance. South Florida finished with a season-low score of 840 across 54 holes.

In terms of individual performance, sophomore Shubham Jaglan had a career-best score of 208 and tied for No. 14 among 84 golfers.

Junior Sam Nicholson and sophomore Jake Peacock also finished tied for 23rd with a score of 209. Peacock led all golfers in the field with 20 total birdies over three rounds.

The Bulls will next participate in the Cal Poly Collegiate in Carmel-By-The-Sea, California from Oct. 31 to Nov 1.

Cross country improves in South Florida Invitational

Both USF cross country teams finished top five in their home invitational Friday.

This is a stronger showing from their last invitational. After finishing ninth in the last competition, the women’s squad finished fourth in a pool of 15 teams.

The men’s team finished fifth in a pool of 17 after placing 14th in the FSU Invite on Oct. 7.

Leading the Bulls was junior Kelly Lynch with a time of 19:16.7, finishing among the top 10 in the women’s 5K. This was followed by graduate student Chloe Byrd who finished with a time of 19:42.9 and freshman Cora Kolodge finished with a personal best time of 19:55.8

Senior Ben Kailes was the top finisher for USF in the men’s 8K with a time of 26:17.7 and placed fourth in the race. Senior Nickolas Kamen and freshman Tyler Engleman round out South Florida’s top three with times of 27:02.6 and 27:42.1

USF will look to sustain this level of performance in the AAC Tournament in Tulsa on Oct. 28.