Men’s soccer remains scoreless for fourth straight match

Though the Bulls tagged on another loss, senior goalkeeper Jackson Weyman has recorded 12 saves so far this season. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

After falling to undefeated No. 3 Washington 3-0 on Tuesday, USF men’s soccer extended its scoreless streak to four games.

Despite playing a powerful opponent, coach Bob Butehorn knew his team wasn’t rattled by the Huskies’ (4-0) ranking.

“We don’t get intimidated, that’s for sure,” Butehorn said. “If that’s the case, then we’ve already lost half the battle.”

Over the course of 90 minutes, Washington generated 19 shots with 10 on goal while the Bulls (0-3-1) trailed their efforts with 12 shots with only three on goal.

Unable to capitalize when closing in on the net, USF couldn’t create the momentum to try and net its first goal of the season.

“They’re getting there, they just gotta be a little more aggressive in those spots and trust their instincts,” Butehorn said. “We’re looking forward to getting some guys back that maybe will help us out in those areas.”

Another factor that separated the two teams that ultimately led to the defeat were the list of mistakes. South Florida had many errant passes, poor touches and forced balls that all led to turnovers.

One positive takeaway from the loss was senior goalkeeper Jackson Weyman’s effort at the net. The goalie logged seven saves for the game after the Huskies sent 10 balls his way. Three goals may have gotten past him, but the Bulls defense could not handle Washington’s pressure.

Heading into the final nonconference match on Thursday, Butehorn reflected on previous matches to focus on what South Florida needs to achieve in the next game.

“My speech at the end of the Marquette game was, ‘The objective is to score more goals,’ and we’re not doing that,” he said. “We need to figure out a way to do it.”

The Bulls will remain at home to face Mercer on Thursday at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcast on ESPN+ and Bulls Unlimited.