USF announces master plan for future of Athletics

USF Athletics Master Plan Renderings

USF has created renderings of what the Athletics district should look like within five years. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Vice President of Athletics Michael Kelly announced Thursday a Facilities Master Plan and an Athletics Strategic Plan of department goals and strategies for the next few years.

“We are committed to competing at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics and continuing to provide a unique and special experience for USF student-athletes and fans that rivals that of any in the nation,” Kelly said. 

“These plans will focus our resources and energies in our daily operations and elevate our Athletics campus by strategically enhancing existing facilities and adding new ones across all our programs in the coming years.”

The Facilities Master Plan site outlines projects Athletics has completed and is in the planning process for. It will continue to be updated as projects move forward and renderings are created.

Some plans that have already been completed or are near completion is the $22 million football Indoor Performance Facility which is set to open this fall. Also, the football team got a new $3 million locker room in the summer.

An on-campus football stadium has been the biggest topic in the past year for athletics, and it is at the top of its list of plans. The timeline for it to open is still set for fall 2026 alongside one for lacrosse.

Other plans include facilities for baseball and softball, tennis, track and field and a golf practice facility.

One of USF’s latest additions to Athletics is a beach volleyball program, and Kelly’s plans include building the team a facility next to the Yuengling Center.

The Lee Roy Selmon Athletics Center lobby is also slated to go under renovation, as well as Corbett Soccer Stadium and the Muma Basketball Center lobby and player lounges and locker rooms.

The 2022-23 Athletics Strategic Plan is a document that outlines Kelly’s short-term and long-term objectives and strategies for USF’s strategic goals. 

The main five goals listed are “provide an unparalleled student-athlete experience;” “renovate, expand and enhance the USF Athletics District;” “elevate athletic performance;” “foster a culture that promotes efficiency, innovation, teamwork and inclusion;” and “embrace our campus and Tampa Bay communities.”