TECO donates $5 million to USF

The gift will be used for the College of Engineering’s Clean Energy Research Center. ORACLE PHOTO/MYA BEAUVAIS

Tampa Electric announced Wednesday a $5 million gift to USF’s College of Engineering to go toward its Clean Energy Research Center, making it the largest gift ever made to the college, according to a Wednesday press release.

The press release said the money will be used to fund research, education and innovation geared toward reducing carbon and improving the environment. The gift will be composed of shareholder funds.

“We are truly grateful for this gift from Tampa Electric and the confidence it shows in our faculty and students,” USF Foundation CEO Jay Stroman said in the release.

“This investment takes our partnership to another level and will lead to clean-energy discoveries that benefit our Tampa Bay community and beyond.”

USF has partnered with TECO before. The two have worked on other clean-energy projects such as “carbon sequestration, electric vehicles, smart grid technology and solar array efficiency,” according to the release.

“This partnership is a key pillar in our vision to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050,” President and CEO of Tampa Electric Archie Collins said in the release.

“Our vision of a net-zero future will not be an easy journey. The path will undoubtedly include emerging technologies and innovations. We feel a responsibility to help fund and spur that innovation, and what better partner than the talented team at USF.”