Crazy Rich Asians star Jimmy O. Yang to headline Round Up Comedy Show

This is the first Round Up Comedy Show of the school year and only the second in person showing since 2019. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/IMDB

The Round Up Comedy Show will return Thursday with Crazy Rich Asians star Jimmy O. Yang as the headlining comedian.

Taking place at the Yuengling Center, doors will open at 7 p.m. and students should enter through Gate D, according to Center for Student Involvement (CSI) Graduate Assistant Hannah Sutherland. The show will open at 8 p.m. with a set from stand-up comedian Forrest Shaw and Yang is expected to take the stage from 8:30-9:30 p.m.

Students can pre-register for the free event through BullsConnect. Maximum occupancy for the event is just above 10,000 people, Sutherland said. As of Tuesday, 456 students have registered.

Bags must be smaller than 12-by-12-by-12 inches in order for them to be permitted inside, according to Sutherland. The only exceptions for larger bags that will be allowed in are parenting and medical bags. Additionally, backpacks and wrapped packages will not be allowed inside.

Yang will be paid $45,000 and the payment will come directly from CSI’s budget, Sutherland said. The comedian was the top pick by students in a survey filled out by the student body.

Best known as both an actor and comedian, Yang has starred in movies and shows including Crazy Rich Asians as Bernard Tai, the Netflix romantic comedy Love Hard as Josh Lin and comedy series such as Space Force on Netflix and Silicon Valley on HBO.

He has also amassed 1.11 million followers on YouTube where he shares videos of his stand-up shows as well as cooking videos.

Besides his experience on the stage, Yang is also the author of “How to American: An Immigrant’s Guide to Disappointing Your Parents,” where he explores the story of how he pursued a Hollywood career against his parents’ will.

At 13 years old, Yang moved from Hong Kong to Los Angeles. Eventually, he found himself at the Comedy Palace which, according to Yang, became his “second home.” Yang worked to better himself and his work until he reached the level where he now finds himself — leading tours and shows across the country.

“I never looked at these challenges as barriers; I saw them as opportunities to grow,” he said in his book. “I’d rather try to pursue my dream knowing that I might fail miserably than to have never tried at all. That is How to American.”