Timmy McClain enters transfer portal after Gerry Bohanon named starter

Sophomore quarterback Timmy McClain passed for 1,888 yards as a true freshman. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

Recent Baylor transfer Gerry Bohanon was named the starting quarterback Monday morning. Sophomore incumbent Timmy McClain reportedly entered the transfer portal a few hours later.

Fall camp was a deciding ground for coach Jeff Scott as the two quarterbacks were competing for the starting position for the Sept. 3 BYU game. The team had its first scrimmage on Saturday, and Scott said he would make his decision afterward.

In a Monday press release, Scott said the two quarterbacks had similar statistics after the scrimmage, as well as displayed comparable skills, command of the offense and work ethic.

He said he will address his decision on Tuesday at his weekly media availability.

McClain started nine games as a true freshman after taking over for Cade Fortin. He passed for 1,888 yards on 145 of 262 attempts, completing 55.3% and had five touchdowns.

Bohanon is coming from playing four seasons at Baylor and leading the team to a Sugar Bowl win last year. He started 12 games, rushed for 323 yards and had 27 touchdowns.

While it was called a competition, McClain’s father shared on Twitter that is untrue.

He denied any further comment.

This is a developing story.