Three more Bulls picked in MLB draft

Redshirt sophomore Jack Jasiak completes his USF career with a 2.66 ERA in 149 innings pitched and 151 strikeouts. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

In the last rounds of the Major League Baseball draft on Tuesday afternoon, pitchers Jack Jasiak and Brad Lord and infielder/outfielder Carmine Lane had their names called.

Jasiak became the second player from South Florida this year to be selected. First was pitcher Orion Kerkering who was picked by the Philadelphia Phillies on Day 2 of the draft in the fifth round as the 152nd overall pick.

The Cleveland Guardians picked Jasiak in the 12th round as the 361st overall pick.

The right-hander was a consistent staple in the Bulls rotation, playing the Friday starting role in 2022 before being shut down in March due to a shoulder injury. This past season, he threw 27.1 innings with a 1.32 ERA and 30 strikeouts in five starts.

In the 2021 season, Jasiak was a weekend opener for USF while leading the pitching staff with 98.1 innings pitched. With a 2.93 ERA, he had the most wins and quality starts with a 6-7 record and was ranked 40th by the NCAA.

He also put on a performance in Super Regionals against No. 2 Texas, where in five innings he kept the Longhorns to two runs.

Being one of the leaders for USF, coach Billy Mohl proclaimed how proud he was of Jasiak on Twitter.

Lord went in the 18th round, 531st overall pick for the Washington Nationals.

The right-handed pitcher joined the Bulls in 2021, where he made 17 appearances on the mound in 11 starts. He finished USF’s successful postseason run with four scoreless innings against No. 11 East Carolina and eight strikeouts against Tulane during the AAC tournament.

In 2022, he made 13 starts and paired them with 60 strikeouts in 61.2 innings, along with a 3-7 record and 5.25 ERA.

South Florida’s cowboy was praised on Twitter by coach Billy Mohl moments after his selection.

Lane was picked up in the 19th round, 562nd pick for the Miami Marlins.

He has been one of the shining stars of the USF lineup since 2021. He appeared in all 61 games of the season and led the team in batting average with a .306 along with total bases, RBI and runs.

He also earned Freshman All-American, AAC All-Tournament team and All-AAC Second Team, along with AAC Player of the Week on March 22, 2021.

In 2022, Lane was the only member of the team to start and play every game. Not only did he lead his team, but he was No. 1 in the AAC in hits and RBI. He finished the year with a .332 average and 54 RBI.

USF’s hot bat was also recognized by Mohl on Twitter after his selection.

As the draft comes to an end, possibilities of free agency are attainable for other eligible Bulls.