Baseball alum David Villar makes MLB debut

Before becoming a Giant, David Villar was a talented team captain at South Florida, where he had a career batting average of .304 with 51 doubles and 24 home runs. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

As the major league season reaches its midpoint, former Bull David Villar joined the show Monday night after getting called up by the San Francisco Giants.

Villar was drafted by the Giants in 2018 as the 316th pick in the 11th round. Throughout his time in the minor leagues, the infielder played 347 games with a .274 batting average, 67 home runs and 91 doubles.

His talent didn’t go unnoticed, taking the seventh slot of the batting order as a second baseman for the Giants on Monday against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Just as any other baseball player reaching the highest level, the prospect was in shock, according to Mercury News reporter Evan Webeck.

The former Bull was praised by coach Billy Mohl on Twitter after finding out he got the call, excited that Villar’s hard work had paid off.

Not only did the second baseman make it to the MLB, but he also had a successful first game. In his first at-bat, he hit a double off Diamondback pitcher Madison Bumgarner and later on followed it with a single RBI.

Mohl also said on Twitter that Villar’s at-bats were almost like deja vu, similar to his hits at South Florida.

USF’s alumni continue to dominate in professional baseball, with other names like Shane McClanahan making themselves known in the MLB. Expectations are high for Villar to contribute to the Giants and perform like he did in his professional career.

Villar is expected to play again in the second game of the Giants and Diamondback series Tuesday at 9:40 p.m.