Track and Field successful in AAC outdoor championship

Senior sprinter Joshua St. Clair (center) was one of the main contributors in the title-winning 4×400 team. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

South Florida performed at a top-tier level during the AAC outdoor championships for track and field in Wichita, Kansas on Sunday.

In a variety of events, the Bulls exceeded expectations across the board. The team took championships in three events followed by 10 podium finishes.

Many Bulls finished first in the competition, including junior jumper Romaine Beckford in the indoor and outdoor high jump championship with a 2.18-meter finish. The other top individual finisher was junior jumper Annia Ashley with a 1.74 leap in the outdoor jump championship.

The final top finish came from the men’s 4×400 team, consisting of junior sprints Elijah Wright and Monte Park, as well as freshman Michael Bourne III and senior Joshua St. Clair. They collectively finished the championship with a time of 3:10.46 to claim the title.

South Florida’s men’s team ended the tournament with 87.50 points, finishing the conference fifth overall. The women’s team racked up 63 points with a seventh conference finish.

Not only did a vast majority of the team have a successful weekend, but school records were broken in the process. In the 400-meter dash, Wright finished second with a time of 45.90, surpassing Pascal Orelus’ previous 46.34 time from 2012.

As of right now, the NCAA is still deciding who will qualify for the East Region Preliminaries meet and the Bulls must wait to see if their season will continue.

The NCAA East Preliminary rounds will begin on May 25 in Indianapolis, Indiana, where many will compete for a chance to qualify for the NCAA Outdoor Championships.