USF softball making its way to NCAA tournament

The USF softball team has 44 wins this season and will seek to tally on more in its postseason run. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Despite its loss in the AAC final against Central Florida on Sunday, USF softball’s season is not over yet as the team was selected to play in the NCAA tournament.

The Bulls (44-14) earned the No. 3 seed in the Tallahassee Regional, where they will compete in the postseason against Mississippi State (33-24) which holds the No. 2 seed. The tournament host, No. 1-seeded Florida State (52-5) will also compete at home against No. 4 Howard (31-22).

USF has had a successful regular season and postseason run with a .759 winning percentage and loads of talented players contributing to the team’s advancements.

With redshirt senior Georgina Corrick as the bullpen backbone and junior Alexis Johns, who leads the team with a .348 batting average, the team is unstoppable.

Though the Bulls have proven themselves to be powerful, the Bulldogs’ roster showcases a polished lineup themselves. Mississippi has seven of its main batters maintaining a .248 average or higher. Their pitching circle also features three pitchers with an ERA of 3.04 or lower.

Mississippi State also competes in one of the most competitive conferences in college softball, the SEC. The Bulldogs have an immense amount of experience when it comes to playing high-caliber teams. Some of their more notable wins include Florida, Ole Miss and Tennessee, who all are well-known for their successful programs.

South Florida has its work cut out for them coming into the NCAA Regional, but have a variety of tools to start on the right foot.

The Bulls will head to Tallahassee to face Mississippi State on Friday at 6 p.m. The game will be broadcast on ESPNU.