Corrick breaks all-time career strikeout record

Senior pitcher Georgina Corrick is now USF’s all-time career strikeout leader after breaking Sara Nevins’ record during Tuesday’s win against Canisius. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

History was made at the USF Softball Stadium on Tuesday as senior pitcher Georgina Corrick broke the program’s career strikeout record during the Bulls’ 5-0 win against Canisius. With career punch out number 1,104, she overtook Sara Nevins, who played for the team from 2011-14.

Corrick entered the game only 5 strikeouts short of the record and took care of business quickly, reaching the milestone in the third inning. She wound up pitching a complete-game shutout and struck out 14 batters in the process.

With Corrick on the mound, the Bulls (28-7) have looked nearly unstoppable, going 22-1 in games where she gets the start. She’s currently leading all of Division I in nearly every major pitching statistic. 

After breaking the record, Corrick had nothing but praise for Nevins and acknowledged how happy she is to have made a lasting impact on the program.

“The number [Nevins] put up seemed absolutely impossible and it never seemed like anything that could be touched,” she said. “Coming in here and acknowledging her record and being able to set my own is really cool and a nice way to have a little bit of history in this school.” 

While the Golden Griffins’ (9-10) bats were kept silent, USF still needed its own offense to come through. After being tied through the first four innings, the Bulls finally broke through in the fifth with a two-run homer from sophomore catcher Josie Foreman.

They would tack on some more in the next frame with redshirt sophomore outfielder Megan Sheehan’s RBI single and another two-run homer, this time from sophomore infielder Vivian Ponn.

Although Corrick etched her name in history, she’s far from done setting records. With her 13th shutout of the season, she’s closing in on the single-season mark of 15 set by Leigh Ann Ellis in 2004 and later matched by Corrick herself last season.

Coach Ken Eriksen, who also coached Nevins during her time with the Bulls, pointed to the hard work that Corrick puts in as the reason for everything she’s managed during her time at USF.

“That’s hard work,” he said. “This girl works on her craft and it’s no surprise that she’s in that mode right now. With every pitch she throws our sports information person comes up saying ‘She broke this record, she broke that record.’” 

The Bulls’ next game is against UCF in a three-game series at the USF Softball Stadium starting March 25 at 4 p.m. The series will be streamed on ESPN+.