NOTEBOOK: Corrick nears strikeout record, track impresses at Hurricane invitational

Senior pitcher Georgina Corrick pitched six innings against Canisius on Sunday, allowing no runs and striking out eight batters. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Senior softball pitcher Georgina Corrick is one step closer to yet another program record. During the Bulls’ 8-0 victory against Canisius on Sunday, she struck out eight batters, raising her career total to 1,098, just five shy of Sara Nevins’ all-time record.

Corrick has been on a tear so far this season. She has arguably been the best pitcher in the country with a .15 ERA, first in all of Division I. She also leads the country by a wide margin with 182 strikeouts. The next closest is Marshall’s Sydney Nester with 144.

She is also on the brink of breaking USF’s single-season shutout record with 12 already this year. The current record is 15 set by Leigh Ann Ellis in 2004 and then matched by Corrick in 2021.

As the Bulls (27-7) get set to enter conference play against UCF on Friday, they will need Corrick to continue on her current pace if they want to bring home the team’s first conference tournament title since 2013.

Bulls impress at Hurricane Invitational 

Multiple track and field athletes enjoyed a successful weekend at the Hurricane Invitational in Miami, with the team racking up a few wins and podium finishes at the event.

Headlining the weekend were the efforts of junior Romaine Beckford who posted a career-best 57.69 in the javelin throw, which won the event and moved him to fifth on USF’s all-time list.

The men’s 4×400 meter relay team also impressed. Senior Joshua St. Clair, freshman Michael Bourne III and juniors Monte Parker and Elijah Wright took home first place with a time of 3:11.80, the eighth-best in program history.

Both men and women’s 4×100 meter relay teams finished in third place in their respective events. The women’s team consisted of sophomores Jadaja Baxter, Shaniya Benjamin, Zahria Allers-Liburd and junior Hannah Connell. St. Clair, Parker, Wright and junior Danelson Mahautiere made up the men’s teams.

USF set for in-state matchup

After winning their fourth consecutive series of the season against Mercer, USF baseball will head down to Fort Myers for a tough midweek match against FGCU on Tuesday. The Eagles (16-4) are on a five-game win streak and are coming off a sweep of Stetson.

Two of the hottest bats for the Bulls (13-7) have been sophomore infielder Carmine Lane and outfielder Drew Brutcher. Lane has had walk-off hits in each of the past two series while Brutcher leads the team with seven homers.

Coach Billy Mohl will need both players at their best against an FGCU pitching staff that has allowed three runs or less on 10 different occasions so far this season.