NOTEBOOK: Corrick’s perfect game, basketball regular seasons wrap

Senior pitcher Georgina Corrick struck out eight batters in a five-inning perfect game against Florida A&M on Sunday. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

Senior pitcher Georgina Corrick continues to rewrite the USF softball history book, throwing a perfect game in a 9-0 win over Florida A&M on Sunday.

The Bulls’ (17-3) ace didn’t allow a single Rattler on base and struck out eight of the 15 batters she faced in the five-inning mercy-rule victory.

She threw just 56 pitches in the effort to improve to 13-0 this season with a mind-boggling ERA of 0.08. Corrick has allowed just one earned run in 87.1 innings pitched thus far in 2022.

Sunday’s perfect game is the fourth in program history, the first since Sara Nevin threw her second career perfecto in May 2014. It’s also Corrick’s sixth solo no-hitter, just one behind Nevin’s program record.

The Sanford native capped off a week in which she broke two other program records in career shutouts (38) and single-game strikeouts (19) against Florida Gulf Coast on March 2. She also surpassed the 1,000 career strikeout milestone in another dominant performance Saturday.

Corrick has now appeared in 16 of the Bulls’ 20 games this season, shouldering the load in the pitcher’s circle. Bulls fans should expect to see her pitch again in a midweek doubleheader against Stetson on Wednesday.

Women’s basketball wins all-conference awards

At the conclusion of yet another winning season, several USF women’s basketball players were named to the AAC All-Conference teams for their individual efforts in the 2021-22 season.

Sophomore guard Elena Tsineke was voted onto the All-Conference First Team for the second consecutive year after leading the Bulls in scoring at 13.9 points per game. She is just the sixth player in program history to be named to the All-Conference First Team more than once.

The Second Team is highlighted by the Bulls’ senior frontcourt pairing of Bethy Mununga and Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu. Both players averaged 11 points per game and shot over 45% from the field this season. Mununga’s 11.3 rebounds per game mean she averaged a double-double for the first time in her career. 

The Bulls will tip off in the second round of the AAC tournament in Fort Worth, Texas on Tuesday against the winner of East Carolina and Memphis. 

Temple swipes men’s basketball’s last game 

The 2021-22 regular season has come to an end for the Bulls (8-22, 3-15 AAC) and not soon enough. They closed a tough season with a 75-47 loss at Temple on Sunday afternoon.

Freshman forward Sam Hines Jr. led the team with 12 points but was the only Bull in double figures in the loss. The team once again struggled to hit shots, shooting 28.8% from the field and converting just one of its 18 three-point attempts. 

On the other side of the court, Temple’s Damian Dunn was electric, dropping 27 points on 8-of-13 shooting as well as grabbing nine rebounds. The Owls sank 10 more three-pointers than USF and never trailed in the contest.

The team will have several days off in preparation for the first round of the AAC tournament where they will play in-state rival UCF on Thursday. The winner of the third War on I-4 will play No. 3-seeded Memphis on Friday.