OPINION: Food at The Hub could be more inclusive

The Hub is one of the primary dining options on campus, but the food options leave much to be desired. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

There are a lot of dining options available for USF students, and The Hub is one of the prime places to go when you live on the Northern part of campus.

However, it appears students are not satisfied with the food options available at The Hub, complaining it is sometimes difficult to find food they can eat if they have dietary restrictions. 

“The vegan section is easy to miss because it’s a tiny spot at the back and doesn’t get promoted a lot,” said first-year student Lee Davis in a Jan. 20 interview with The Oracle.

Some students have also had occurrences where the food has been mislabeled. 

The sign that says “contains nuts” on the counter at the front is sometimes misplaced and students with allergies are confused about which item contains it. This issue is worsened when some employees are not always aware of what is in the food they are serving.  

“I didn’t have any specific training when I started. They just tell me that this is on the menu today, and you have to serve it,” said Apoorva Inani, a new employee at The Hub, in a Jan. 23 interview with The Oracle.

This could explain why when students ask about specific ingredients in the food, like whether it was gluten free or not, some employees don’t appear to know the answer.

It should be mandatory for all employees to receive an orientation session where they are informed about the menu and prepared to answer any questions regarding the ingredients.

The low quality of food and service could be the cause of the rush at Argos and other dining options, because students prefer them to The Hub. 

Not all students have the option to eat elsewhere, and might be depending on their meal swipes for food every day. This is why improving the food at The Hub should be a priority.

The Hub’s efforts to avoid waste and serve lesser portions of food has been helpful, so is the addition of vegan options to the menu. It would be for the betterment of a lot of students if more of such measures were taken. 

Conducting mandatory orientation sessions, ensuring the signs and menus are visible and accurate, adding kosher and more gluten free options on the menu and improving the quality of the food could improve the student experience at The Hub.

A good diet is important for the overall well being of students and the dining locations at USF should ensure that all students get the best out of their meal plans.