Coed cheer wins second national championship

The USF Coed Cheer team successfully defended its national title Sunday at the Universal Cheerleading Association College Nationals. USF ATHLETICS PHOTO

USF’s Coed Cheer team won its second national championship Sunday at the Universal Cheerleading Association College Nationals at Walt Disney World’s Wide World of Sports.

The four USF cheer teams reached the national finals, with the coed team claiming its first-place spot against 16 other squads in the Division I-A traditional event.

Coach Gillian Guadagnino along with assistant coaches Ronnie Patrick and Savannah Wright have been a key part of the team’s success of not only bringing home back-to-back championship wins, but improving the program as a whole. 

Prior to their two national titles, the Bulls were consistently among the top teams in the competition finishing fourth in 2019 and fifth in 2020 before ultimately winning it all in 2021.

The coed team has been able to climb back up the ranks every year since 2016, consistently finishing top ten since 2017. Before 2016, they had not seen competition for 13 years. 

USF was also able to bring home second in its game-day routine against 17 qualifying squads. 

The All-Girl team also received a title, finishing fourth overall in game-day competition against 10 teams. The team also placed fifth in traditional competition performance.